Wednesday, March 2, 2011

さよなら

I just had to say goodbye to one of my classes.  Not just "Goodbye, see you next time," either.  Like "Goodbye, I`ll probably never see you again after March 25.  Ever."  Last English class of the year.  Last English class that I`ll ever teach to Class 3-3.  And I have to say it 13 more times.

It was sadder than I thought it would be.  I cried a little and wrote my email address on the board. 

The saddest part of the Peace Memorial Museum in Hiroshima was the tattered school uniforms on display.  I thought of my students, in their goofy blue-and-white track suits, and I bawled.  Those kids mean something to me.

I wasn`t as involved with them as I could have been.  I wasn`t the super, above-and-beyond ALT that I thought I could be.  But I did get to know them a little. I taught them some things, and they taught me a lot.

I`ll miss you, Eimei Junior High School.  Most of all, I will miss those silly middle school students, laughing and chasing me in the hallways like I was a Beatle.  Making fun of how I pronounce their names.  The way they bust out with phrases like "Come on baby, cheese-u" and "I like women and money" out of nowhere. 

A life of traveling is a life of saying goodbye.  I always think of this song from The Muppets Take Manhattan when I say goodbye.  I feel that the Muppets can say it better than I ever could.

No comments:

Post a Comment