Thursday, December 16, 2010

you can`t take the sky from me


The world is truly unjust. 

I try not to watch TV too often--I`d rather read or at least watch a documentary or look up conspiracy theories online--so I usually find out about good shows long after they were popular.  And when I say "good shows," I mean good shows.  Not CSI or American Idol.  Shows that make you care about the characters. Shows that give you that feeling you get at the end of a really good book.  You`re glad you experienced it, but you`re sad that it`s over.

I discovered one of those shows a week or so ago.  And it`s already over.

Firefly aired on Fox in 2002 to mixed reviews and not-so-great ratings.  Only 11 episodes made it on air before the show was cancelled.  Fans got so upset that they rallied together to get another season.  Eventually, all 14 episodes of the show were released on DVD but the show wasn`t picked up by any networks.  The fans` efforts led to a movie being made, called Serenity

Serenity, created to try and conclude the short-lived series, bombed at the theaters.  The fate of Firefly was pretty much sealed when the movie didn`t do well.

I don`t even like science fiction, but I loved this show.  I think if it had a better time slot when it was first aired, it could have gone on to be the next Star Trek, except better because there are no aliens or pointy ears or any of that weird shit that makes most people hate sci fi.

I had to write this post because my heart is a little broken.  Zack and I have been engulfed in this show for the last week and a half or so.  I really wanted to know more about the characters and the world they existed in.  But there is no more. 

It would be like if J.R.R Tolkien wasn`t able to finish writing The Lord of the Rings or something.  Heartbreaking.  It`s probably unhealthy to feel this way about a TV show, but I know that it will eventually pass.  Or I`ll go insane and try to make the inside of my house look like a spaceship and pretend I`m going on smuggling missions.

It seems that all the shows I truly love face an untimely death--except for Friends, of course, and that maybe should have died a little sooner than it did.  My So-Called LifeFreaks and GeeksUndeclaredArrested Development.  They get cancelled for being different, snuffed out because they don`t give people the cheap, dumbed-down thrills that Law and Order and Jersey Shore give.

What a cruel world we live in.

I hate you, FOX.

2 comments: