Sunday, October 24, 2010

suwako marathon

I just ran a half-marathon. Well, "ran" is a strong word. I guess I should say that I jogged and lightly ran a half-marathon. In 2 hours and 30 minutes. The time limit to finish before they shot off the closing fireworks was 2 hours and 40 minutes. I am so shocked. The most I had ever run before was 35 or 40 minutes all at once. I figured that I would be crawling by the end. BUT I DIDN'T WALK OR GIVE UP OR ANYTHING (well, I walked for maybe 5 minutes of it all, here and there, when I drank water).

Something about being surrounded by other people, all sweating and pumping their arms and throwing paper cups of water and Pokari Sweat all over themselves just made me want to keep on. It was sort of like being on stage for a performance. Even after all those dress rehearsals, nothing can prepare you for the buzz that you get from the audience on opening night. You feed off of each other's energy. I finally understood what made people want to sign up for a half-marathon rather than just running by themselves.

My feet are covered in blisters and my skin was caked in salt from sweating so much. But I did it. It was fun in the way that surviving a fight with a vicious monster would be fun. Satisfying. Exhausting. Perhaps you are injured. You wonder how you could be crazy enough to want to try it again, but you think that you probably will one day.

1 comment: