Thursday, February 24, 2011

can`t stop the signal


Image from: http://firefly.blog.co.in/files/2009/01/firefly_mmo.jpg

I wrote a post a while ago proclaiming my love for the show Firefly.  Like most wonderful things, it died an untimely death, and was cancelled after only one season.  Because Fox hates good TV.

It took a few weeks, but I was finally able to move on with my life.  I accepted the fact that Firefly was over, and there wasn`t any hope for more.

And, suddenly, like an actual firefly popping up in the gray night sky, I saw an article about Firefly on the Google news home page.  That one-and-only season is being shown again on cable TV.  My heart skipped a beat.  Surely, this was good news.  This was a sign that all interest in the show hadn`t been lost. 

A new fan movement has popped up after the show`s star, Nathan Fillion, made an offhand comment in an interview.  He said that if he ever won the California lottery, he would buy the rights to Firefly and produce it himself.  Thus, the "Help Nathan Fillion Buy Firefly" campaign began.  Fans are being asked to pledge money to fund the show in the future.  (No one would donate any actual money until there was confirmation that the show would be made.)

It`s kind of sad that so much money could be promised just to revive a television show when there are so many problems in the world. Earthquakes and disease and famine.  But the adamant Firefly fans, called Browncoats after the rebels in the show, have done plenty for charity, and I have a feeling that more charity work will done by them in the future.  (And I would totally help.)

So, will Firefly ever really return?  It`s a long shot.  In the meantime, we can watch this real-life drama unfold, the tale of the Browncoats who will never let their voices go unheard, who will never let the Alliance--I mean, 20th Century Fox--keep them down.

No comments:

Post a Comment