Monday, June 21, 2010

thriving

I`ve been thinking about PC a lot. I guess it`s because I`ve actually been submitting my work and writing every (week) day. I finally feel that pull again, that little tug that makes you want to sit down and write out your thoughts. Now that I`m starting to understand what his life was about, I just wish that I could talk to him. I wish that I could send him my latest short story. Whenever I do get published (because I am determined to be published), I want to send him a link to it and then have him write back Great. Now keep writing.

In case you don`t know, PC was my mentor in college. He was the professor who inspired me to be a writer. Before I was just a journalism major. He passed away a month before I graduated. I didn`t know him as well as I would have liked, but I was still asked to read something at his memorial service. It was the biggest honor of my life so far. If I do nothing else in this life, I would like to think that old Peter Christopher is sitting on a cloud somewhere, smiling and saying, That`s it, Em. You got it.


Anyways, I googled him the other day to see which journals he was published in (everything he ever wrote was published, except for the story collection and novel he was working on when he passed away). I found this:
http://www.unsaidmagazine.com/display_lit.php?issue=4&file_url=altman.html

(sorry, for some reason links don`t post correctly on my blog so you`ll have to copy and paste)

It is an essay that his wife wrote after his death. It made me realize how little I knew about him, this man I admired so much. He was a true artist and an amazing teacher. I actually thought about him a little on Father`s Day. I won`t let you down, PC.

All thrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment